At Curwen Primary, our Languages vision is to prepare our children for life in a diverse and multi-cultural modern world. We want pupils to develop communication and literacy skills based on phonics, vocabulary and grammar so pupils become independent language learners. Learning another language will help our children to grow up and to be more accepting and tolerant adults.
- There are 6,912 languages in the world.
- 94% of the world’s population does not speak English as their first language.
- 75% do not speak English at all.
- Studying a foreign language develops your oral and written skills – even in your native language!!
- The number of careers requiring a qualification in a modern foreign language is increasing.
- More than 1,000 different languages are spoken on the Continent of Africa.
- Starting salaries for students graduating with ability in one or more modern foreign languages are at least 20% higher than for students who speak English only.
- Over 300 different languages are spoken in London.
- Young people who speak at least two languages do better at school than those who speak only one.
- Learning and using a second language helps to protect the brain from the effects of ageing.
- Learning a language will make you competitive in the job market. Learning 2 even more so. Many European young people now learn 2 foreign languages as well as their own.
During the school year, Curwen offers 2 Spanish clubs to those children who are enthusiastic and eager to broaden their language skills. The clubs provide the children with the opportunity to develop their Spanish beyond the classroom.
This Autumn Term, Yr 3 children are learning that Spanish is spoken not only in Spain but in different countries. It was introduced by colonists who came from Spain while they were looking for gold, silver, slaves and spices; and they forced the local population to learn Spanish.
Children will be also introduced to Spanish vowels –las vocales-
Yr 4 children will be able to count to 50 and identify numbers in Spanish.
Yr 5 are writing their own introduction on a short letter. We will send them to our school link in Spain. We are looking forward to receive their replies!!
Watch out for the next update, we are planning to add a few videos with our presentation
Yr 6 children will start the year recapping numbers and practicing them in context while shopping.